«

»

Apr 09 2011

Installed a New Toilet

In replacing the holding tank and installing a macerator, I came to the conclusion that it was also time to replace the toilet.  It appeared that the toilet that was there may have been the original that came on the boat from 1969.  With the condition of the hoses it would not surprise me.

Luckily toilets were on sale at West Marine, and so I was able to pick up a Jabsco for $160.  As a bonus I also picked up a stereo that was also on sail.  I had removed the old one some time ago and have been wanting to install a new one anyway.  The hole to the right was from an old phone line that someone had installed.  I took it out and have plans to fill the hole with something else.

IMAG0016IMAG0017

The installation was pretty straight forward and besides taking time, it wasn’t difficult.  I alsoIMAG0011bought about eight feet of 1 1/2” hose so that I could replace that too, making this a completely new installation.  From what I read the rubber hoses will tend to “breath” after they age, and so odors can seep through – NOT a good thing in an enclosed boat.

I started by running some clean water through the system to minimize the potential mess.  I then disconnected the toilet’s exit hose from the holding tank.  I also disconnected the intake hose.  Next was unbolting the toilet, which was comprised of three large wood screws holding it down.  I carried it, with the exit hose attached, into the cockpit and carefully set it down so that any remaining water that might be in the system would not spill out.

IMAG0010I cleaned, sanded, and scrubbed the area where the old toilet had been.  When I finished cleaning it you could have eaten dinner off of the area, really.  The screw pattern was different for the new toilet, so I filled in the old holes and did a bit of painting to cover the sins of the past, and then was ready to mount the new toilet.

After a bit of contemplation on just where to put the toilet and how to angle it, I retrieved a marker and marked where the holes would be.  I drilled pilot holes and screwed in the wood screws to get them started.  I backed them out and then positioned the toilet and screwed it down.  I cut and connected the new hoses to the toilet and tank, cleaned up, and was done!  Well, almost done.IMAG0014

I also thoroughly cleaned out beneath the holding tank, bleached the area, cleaned it with bathroom cleaner, and then dried it with a blow drier for about a hour.  I then spray painted the area.

All said and done it is a decent job for someone who has never done this kind of work before.  It took a lot of reading and thought to decide where everything should be mounted and how things should be built, but it’s not bad.  A few finishing touches here and there and it’ll be good for a long time.

IMAG0015

And then my reward for five hours of work:

IMAG0018

Share

Comments

comments